Sunday, August 24, 2014

Spending Time With Julie Ford Oliver

Untitled
watercolor on Yupo

I met Julie Ford Oliver through blogging two years ago and if memory serves me right, we had an instant connection.  I fell in love with her exquisite and highly technical paintings and she seemed to really like the stories in my art.  She often offered praise and insight that fed my desire to continue to paint.  Like any artist, I sometimes question my skills, my subjects, all of it really, and it has been the seasoned and experienced artists like Julie who come along and lift me up and help me push forward.  Through our numerous emails, I not only had come to appreciate having a mentor, but had made a dear friend.

So long story short, last Spring Julie invited me to come to New Mexico to paint with her at her studio. After losing my mother in early July, this invitation became something I felt I really had to do. So I packed my bags and my paints and headed to Las Cruces. 

The week was FULL of happy moments.

New Mexico
Like walks in the desert.



White Sands National Monument

Riding down the sand dunes on a sled!  Wee!



Pasture in Lincoln Forest

Visiting Julie's friends in the mountains.



New Mexico skies

Marveling at the frequent changes in the sky.

Stormy New Mexico sky


Sunset in New Mexico

 Watching the sunrise and sunset.  Each one was different.



Old building in Mesilla, New Mexico

Walking around looking at blue doors and wonderful New Mexico architecture.  

Blue garden gate
It was like walking into a Julie Ford Oliver Painting!



Julie Ford Oliver in front of her studio
Then we headed for Julie's studio where she teaches.  


oil on 8 x 8 inch canvas

I painted on black canvas for the first time.  It makes it so easy to outline the work...it seemed to really help with the drawing  The little blue vase is one of Julie's still life objects...I just had to paint it. 


oil on 10 x 10 inch canvas

Julie talked a lot about design and use of color...I tried to think about both in the above piece.  The above drippy marks are from a wash with oil and mineral spirits.  I let them be, so the white is raw canvas showing through.  We thought it looked neat, so I left it that way.


oil on 9 x 12 inch oil primed linen

All the vibrant colors of New Mexico obviously inspired the above piece.  I didn't have time to finish it, but I was happy with where it was going.  Oil primed linen is nice to paint on.  It seemed to grab the colors off the brush more easily than gesso primed canvas.

I had two other paintings, a pear and a cityscape, but the photos are too blurry.  In those I visited the use of color again and did some negative painting which was pretty fun to do.


Julie Ford Oliver and me

The week was amazing.  It was so full of beauty....the landscape...the incredible people I met...the food...the art...the sunsets...the warm sun...the rain.

But the best part was Julie.  Hands down.  Julie.  A gem of a lady.

 Julie is a mega-talented artist and a sought-after teacher.  Her paintings have been published in books and magazines and have sold world wide.  She won't tell you any of this though...she is quite humble about it all. If you don't know her art, do yourself a favor and  visit her here. I highly recommend her very inexpensive fracturing technique video.  It is what gives her art that special look...like it's been broken and put back together.  Kind of like this past week did for me...I was broken...and now I am a little more together.

Thank you, thank you Julie.
xoxo

52 comments:

  1. such a NICE POST! Looks like a GREAT Time and Place = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you could see me you'd see me smiling a big smile... : )

    everything here just makes me smile... : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your loving and generous post reflects what a truly beautiful person YOU are.
    Having Lisa withdrawals here in New Mexico.
    Blessings, dear friend, and thank you.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Julie...in the biggest way. I hope your week is perfect!

      Delete
  4. It was wonderful to read this happy post and also the works you created, each one is a gem! I particularly loved the lady with the New Mexico colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Padmaja. A visit to beautiful New Mexico and time with Julie is sure to make any blog post a happy one.

      Delete
  5. Merveilleux post, j'ai adoré le parcourir!
    Bonne journée- Cath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to find your blog through Julie's. She is such a wonderful lady! Wish I could have tagged along. I love the strong ethereal sense that comes through your work. It is wonderful!! Count me a new follower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there CrimsonLeaves and thank you for your kind words and following! Yes...Julie is WONDERFUL.

      I read on your blog that you are in a phlebotomy class? I did that years ago...I loved it because I was able to work in ALL the areas at the hospital...from 1 day old to 105 years. Most people were not happy to see me though. :(

      Delete
  7. Hi Lisa, I have found you via Julie's blog. I so enjoyed reading both of your blog posts about the special time you shared together! I love your art too!! I'm sure you will have returned home refreshed and with a lot of inspiration for future works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy. I am so glad you stopped by and left this wonderful comment! Inspired for sure! I can't seem to work fast enough. Thank you for your words.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful opportunity! I am so happy for you. And your paintings, all of them, turned out wonderfully. Good for you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Libby. You are so supportive. Your wonderful landscape paintings came up in conversation. We were talking about values I believe. Cool, huh? It was fun to find out that we have a lot of blog friends in common. :)

      Delete
  9. Amazing! Such a wonderful story of how the internet can bring those folks meant to be together - together. I know you said you were going somewhere special -- and you meant that! Love the pieces you've posted - I'm sure Julie Ford Oliver enjoyed having you around. Isn't Northern New Mexico beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I was in southwestern NM which was really gorgeous. I loved the smell there. They had rain and it made things in the desert smell like dessert. :)

      Thank you for your words friend. xo

      Delete
  10. Your joy shows in your paintings here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty...thank you! Joy is the perfect word.

      Delete
  11. Lisa, all of your photos are wonderful. I love the yupo paintin! You are inspiring to get my yupo pad out and play! I especially love the oil on linen painting! I have never tried painting on linen, I will have to try that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine, thanks for your comment. Julie has been doing a lot of watercolors on yupo and she wanted me to try it out. She has been doing her special fracturing on those which is absolutely amazing. I have always thought watercolor was a hard medium to control...and put it on yupo...which is painting on plastic basically...oh my is it difficult. Julie makes it look easy. The linen is wonderful...very luxurious.

      Have fun!

      Delete
  12. What a gift! And that first painting! It has everything and more - have sat and looked at it for a long time. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a gift. Thank you Jeane...Julie liked that one too. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Lisa - I have visited your blog in the past. Love your art. Visit Julie's blog regularly. It sounds from both of your posts that two souls connected and had a wonderful experience. So happy for the two of you. Thanks for sharing your lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, I am so happy you stopped by and said all these nice things.Thank you so much. I am a regular Julie visitor myself...but I probably didn't need to tell you that. Her blog is one a MUST for me. I am happy you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  14. How lovely. Sounds like just the right sort of medicine for you right now. Your paintings are beautiful and a lovely reminder your precious time in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fuzzie...yes! Just what the doctor ordered for me! :)

      Thank you so much for the comment.

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful and healing journey your trip must have been Lisa. I'm so glad you feel more refreshed and a bit more whole by it all. Your paintings are wonderful and I especially love the drippy effect you achieved on the background painting of the lady. My thoughts are with you as you continue to heal. Lots and lots of hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heal is the perfect word Itaya. Being the tender heart you are, your wonderful comment touched me. Thank you! Hugs back...many of them. :)

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a lovely time with your friend ~ Am enjoying the pictures and images with vibrant colors ~ You are both lucky to share the love of painting ~ Have a good week Lisa ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Grace...thank you for your words. I have been thinking about your poem today.

      Delete
  17. Marvelous paintngs. So soft and washy. great photos of your friend and the sky. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corrine! Sure have been enjoying your renovation photos on FB! xoxo

      Delete
  18. so BLESSED you two are and so much much more! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a perfect place to retreat and relax. Your new paintings are beautiful. I especially like the woman sitting in the chair with the "drippy marks" behind her. You always capture mood and emotion in your paintings. I admire that so much about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. It really was a beautiful place to relax. It's a wonderful thing to have a special friend you can do things with, and a real bonus when both love art! Xo

      Delete
  20. Nice to see Julie through you and nice to know you through her.
    Gifts of Blogland. Congratulations for your art so intensely personal, you have a way to filter all your inner reality, painting poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Forever Friends...how wonderful!!! Julie is not only an amazing artist but she truly looks like a kind person!! and so glad you both got together. I love your paintings, Lisa and these photos are all wonderful ..especially Sunset in New Mexico and of course of you and Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilda! Thank you so much. We marveled at all the common friends we have in blog land. You are one of them and we both agree you are awesome. :)

      Delete
  22. I love your NM photos .. such an inspirational area! Your paintings are gorgeous ..love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! It's must see landscape for all outdoor lovers. I wonder what sort of inspiration you would find for your beautiful purses.

      Delete
  23. I love this post Lisa! So beautiful! So touching! So meaningful! So magical! So very spiritual! You were meant to meet and to go there! Her art is breath taking!
    I LOVE your paintings!
    My friend, thank you for your kind comments on my blog ;o) I am getting better everyday! I truly am ;o) I am a very emotional person and take a lot on! It's been a year of life lessons. Of truly letting go, of trusting, of growing strong.
    Thanks for being you Lisa! Love you my friend ;o)
    Big Hugs and Many Blessings, Always! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I am breathing a sigh of relief for you sweet friend. I am so happy you feel better!
      Thank you for your comments about the trip. It was really all the things that you said!
      Sending you love. Xoxo

      Delete
  24. Oh my gosh! There you two are together! Wow! Your both so pretty, too. Lisa, the paintings are fantastic! I can see the southwest influence, yes, and I think your work looks especially rich and dramatic on the black canvas. Will you use that again in future pieces? What a wonderful experience, to meet a fellow artist, paint together, and explore her part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very kind Katherine. A great time it was!! I did really like the black canvas and can see using it again for sure. Thanks for your comment!! Xoxo

      Delete
  25. It been so long and I have missed seeing your work.. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It is hard I know I lost my Dad in Feb. So glad you had found a way to heal from the hurt.. Looks like a wonderful trip.

    Well my friend I'm also popping in to let you know we are heading to Chicago in the First week in Oct.. I told my hubby we had to stop in Wichita. Of course he asked why. And I explained there is a friend I would love to meet.. So if you are around in the first week in Oct. I would love to meet up with you! If you want you can drop me an email. mhplinda@gmail.com

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every artists dream ...to spend some time with Julie Ford Oliver ...you lucky gal! You made some great works there and was surely inspired by the surroundings and their wonderful colors .

    ReplyDelete