Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Something About Blue and Purple

Pansies in a Blue Pot
oil on paper 6 x 6 inch
available here
 I have really been loving blue and purple lately, especially together.  Years ago I bought a blue flower pot that I love, and there has been an array of different colored flowers in it each spring and summer.  This year I went with blue pansies in most of the flower pots, including the favorite blue pot.  I have purple pansies sprinkled in the mix of blues which makes the pots look so beautiful.  They provided a source of inspiration this past weekend for painting.  

Blue Pot on a Purple Table
oil on paper 6 x 6 inch
available here


I did some painting on the patio one evening.  You can see my sweet blue flower pot there on the table in the photo below.  Also notice the teeny tiny backyard.  Did I mention it only takes 15 minutes to mow instead of 2 hours?  :)


Painting on the patio in the backyard


I think the inspiration for adding purple into the flower pots came after seeing this gorgeous lilac bush a few weeks ago on a walk in our neighborhood.  I plan to take a printed copy of this photo to the person who lives in that house which is just around the corner from us.  They have a beautiful yard and I feel inspired every time I walk past it.

lilac bush during neighborhood walk
photo editing with distressedfx



The photo led to some sketching too.


sketchbook sweetie
graphite, water-soluble pencils in tiny moleskin


I recently bought a few blue glass things from antique stores and thrift shops...like this blue drinking glass with the yellow flowers.   There is a cobalt blue bud vase that makes an appearance twice in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun and I have been on a search for one just like it for years.  Haven't found the bud vase yet, but the movie sure is good.

Blue drinking glass in the kitchen window
photo editing with distressedfx


Speaking of blue...our skies are stormy tonight and this evening after one storm passed, the blue in the sky looked so soft you could wear it.


Stormy Kansas skies and the Arkansas River
no filter used

What colors are you into lately?

29 comments:

  1. What a delightful post. I love each and every image. Hard to pick a fav.
    I also love blue and purple. They are next to each other on the color wheel so you know they like each other.
    Your new neighborhood is gorgeous. Cant wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you put that...they like each other. Yes they do!

      Can't wait can't wait!!

      Delete
    2. And thank you Julie! Where are my manners? ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love those little pansies Lisa! The minimal background accentuates the tiny blooms. They are such joyful colours! I have found I do revolve around a steady colour palette if purple gold pinks and blues. In the spring though I throw in a bit if yellow as I can't help but be excited by all the new plant growth . I live the idea of searching for treasures to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Placing yellow in the mix sound perfect! Yellow is such a cheerful color. Thank you Morag!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    The photo of the sky and river is a painting for sure. Will that be in the future for you? I loved your description of the softness, too.
    Very nice post! Have a great day tomorrow!
    Sincerely,
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too sure if I will paint many landscapes by themselves. A figure or two or six always seem to show up. Thanks for your visit Gary!

      Delete
  4. My very favorite palette is green/blue/violet. Love seeing your photos and your paintings, Lisa. They always strike an emotional chord, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue, blue and more blue! Once you start noticing it is everywhere! Lovely photos as always so thank you. I have been using lots of greens and blues lately:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soothing colors, aren't they Libby? Thanks for the nice visit and sweet words.

      Delete
  6. Lovely paintings, Lisa and the photo of the lilac bush is gorgeous. I think your neighbours will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fuzzie...I think they will too...if I can ever get around to doing it!

      Delete
  7. Blues and purples have always been my favourite, I think it might be their dreamy quality. :) I love your painting of the still life, so delicately painted. I'm very partial to lilacs too so you can guess how much I'd be inspired by walking past this beautiful garden! That's a lovely sketch you made, you're so clever at creating a wonderful mood.
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. You have painted many lovely scenes using those colors. Really enjoyed your recent post today.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful work here, Lisa!! Love your Blue pot on a purple table!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That drawing of a woman on the sidewalk is haunting. At first I thought the sidewalk was a
    wedding veil, suggesting a whole back story with her bittersweet expression.

    Blues and purples, yes! Lately ocean colors whisper to me. I need a trip to the ocean soon.
    Lovely neighborhood and beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that Patty. I thought at certain glances it looked like a veil also. But nope...just my poor drawing skill. LOL.

      Thanks for your kind words Patty!

      Delete
  10. MAGIC...your ENTIRE post. You always take me some where WONDERFUL, no matter what you do! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely spot to paint. Blue pot, another sweet painting.....xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green, blue, purple... Monet's garden. Blues of the sky and of the Bay. Purple salvia mixed with pale pink impatiens and dark pink begonias. White, white, and more white with a touch of gray.

    Lovely paintings, Lisa.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to think of Monet's work. I saw a few of his paintings this weekend in Texas and what a treat it was. I can't remember the titles, but two of them were from a private collection. Can you imagine owning a Monet? They owned just about every big name you could think of. How do you chose which one gets the center spot in the room?

      Thank you Genie for you kind comment?

      Delete
  13. yes that blue and purple look so lovely together. I can't say I have a color preference or leaning lately...but I do love the cool colors. Your painting is just lovely and the sketchbook drawing is too. So nice to see where you live---it is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celeste. It's not quite as beautiful as Oregon, but it is lovely in it's own quiet way.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful post Lisa!! Your paintings are so pretty! I love your backyard! 15 minutes, yeh!! LOL! Your sketch book sweetie is adorable! My colours have been red, black and white. Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy and thank you! Red, black and white are great colors to go with your sweet crows. Hugs back. :)

      Delete