Saturday, August 29, 2015

Poetry Porch

 Poetry Porch
oil on board 18 x 24"

On a beautiful day some time ago I was walking near the park and there was a couple sitting on their huge front porch.  The man was reading the newspaper out loud to the woman who sat attentively listening.  The romantic in me changed the newspaper to a book of poetry and this painting was born in my mind.  A self-portrait I guess, but not really because:  1.  I don't wear long dresses when I walk, and 2.  My dog looks nothing like the dog in the painting.

I changed the couple to a group of women because as you know I am more a painter of the female figure vs the male for no other reason than they are easier for me.  I am a woman, I was raised by a woman, I grew up surrounded by women, so my recurring subject of women makes sense.

I hope you all are well and have a wonderful weekend!

♥ Lisa

16 comments:

  1. Great story. You have to have the ears to listen. 99% of the other people passing that day probably missed it! Great job Poet Sherlock:) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one, Lisa...You never cease to amaze me!
    You are very inspiring to me, even though I am an Abstract Artist!
    Thanks for sharing all of your work, and thoughts that GO ALONG with it = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting is so great and the story makes it even more interesting. When I saw it on FB, I thought about it being a 'self-portrait.' I've missed you - you have had such a busy summer, so glad to see new work from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gown the artist in you is always awake and searching fir inspiration. I adore this piece. I always admire your ability to storytell with paint. It us a rare gift. You are super talented Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this one--the houses are just wonderful in it and there is such a softness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The houses and their roofs are quite delightful. A bit of poetry there as well. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming and feminine painting. It is gentle and fun. Love the roofs and the posture of the woman. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely to read how your painting came about.
    so glad i could click on it and see it larger, it really is a gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful painting Lisa! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A story well told, Lisa. I love the charming simplicity, beautifully done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was instantly struck by how this piece reminded me of another artist...and I'm drawing a blank on the name. Not necessarily the style but kind of the composition...the Americana feel...I don't know. No matter...I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey... : ) i'm finally leaving a comment... if i check blog posts on my tablet i think i'll go back later and leave a comment when i'm on my computer - and then i forget!!

    i love these houses, lisa... i'd really like to live in the pink one. under those big trees, i would be happy. i'd have a lot of pink stuff inside, too, and i would like it if my neighbors read poetry to me on their front porch.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Love the richness of detail and warm colors. Your work is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa, The sky and bare trees makes the whole picture pop. Love her stride and the dog detail. The title was also captivating.

    Have a nice holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone for the nice comments...a very belated thank you!

    ReplyDelete